What is the Mock Conference?
Come one, come all!
The Los Alamitos Mock Conference is designed to help delegates with little/no experience of how committee flows. This Mock Conference will help delegates gain confidence in speaking, as well as help them learn the basic skills needed to be successful in committee. You can view the topic synopsis below in order to get a basic idea of how committee flows. You can also view additional resources here.
Topic: Crisis in Rohingya
Head Chair: Ashley Robinson
Vice Chair: Justin Kim
UNHCR, acronym for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, is the UN Refugee Agency. UNHCR’s primary goal is to grant all peoples “the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to eventually return home, integrate or resettle”. During emergencies like the situation in Rohingya, the UNHCR works to provide basic necessities and shelter for displaced peoples. By sending aid, safeguarding individuals, and protection, the UNHCR hopes to help rebuild broken lives of refugees to live the lives they deserve.
Tips and Other Information
- Policy papers and speeches are not required.
- Don't be afraid to speak! Speaking is one of the most important ways you can communicate with your fellow delegates and chairs.
- The chairs are not monsters. In fact, we are here to help. Don't hesitate to talk with the chairs if you have questions or concerns.
- Try to be as active as possible. The more active you are, you can get more feedback from the chairs.
- Be diplomatic and nice to other delegates. Don't ever "roast" other delegates because it will hurt their feelings.
- Bring some money if you know you get hungry easily.
- Lunch will be provided, woohoo!